What you're describing isn't the kind of usage of visualization and
animation that I'm describing, nor was shown in the interfaces in
UTEOTW.

I'm not talking about using animation and delight to "get in the
way" of functionality.  I'm describing the use of it to enhance the
experience, especially during areas of usage where processes are
occurring in the background.

Speed and efficiency are of course primary to good usage experiences,
but that doesn't restrict design and presentation to the kind of
interfaces that represent the overwhelming majority of software of
the past two decades.