Hi Cecilia,

And thanks for your reply. I've been a Mac user at home for a year now and I
couldn't agree more: I actually thought all installations on a Mac occurred in
the DMG drag-and-drop procedure, and only when I installed MS Office for Mac
did I first saw that *lovely* step-by-step installation I didn't miss from the
PC world. But our developers have only recently been introduced to Mac
programming, and I am already impressed with how much they've learned and
managed to do in so tight a deadline - for now the MPKG will have to do.

My question is not about the drag-and-drop of the icons for installation
purposes (which I would favour), it's actually about the customization of the
window itself, and the extra eye-candy and instructional possibilities in it.
In the Firefox 3 installer window we have the icons of the Firefox app and the
Applications folder PLUS an backdrop arrow and "Drag Here" message which pretty
much tells the user exactly what he should do. Now, checking the Flickr page I
know that I can also customize the window containing a MPKG:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioupioum/2064574906/in/pool-dmg/

Question is: how is this window customization achieved?

Cheers,

Tiago

> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008
> 14:40:24 +0000> Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Designing Installer for the Mac>
> > My understanding is that there is a fundamental structural difference>
> between the installation methods. Firefox uses the DMG method, which> means
> that everything that is installed is all installed into one> folder. This is
> the preferred method, because that means you aren't> spraying files all over
> the users computer. The MPKG method you are> using is necessary if you are
> modifying files outside your one little> folder. I found a thread talking
> about this here:>
> http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?design.4.299374.16 It> sounds
> the concensus on that thread is that it is really worth trying> to confine
> all of the installation into one folder, for two reasons.> One is the part
> that you like, which is the slick installation> procedure from the
> perspective of the user. The second is that it> seems that programmers co
 nsider that it makes your program more> "polite", staying in it's own folder,
reducing the risk of> stomping on other things that other programs might be
relying on.> > My perception as a Mac user has always been that I am very happy
when> an installation is a DMG. I know that it will be easy, and usually>
really fast to install.> > Further information on DMG:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.dmg> > > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .> Posted from the new ixda.org>
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=34672> > >