Check for each condition on every keystroke. As each new condition is
met, provide immediate feedback visually right next to the input form.
For example, start with 4 empty boxes, and with each met condition,
add a checkmark to one of the boxes.

If this is a web form, JavaScript is well-suited for the task.

That got me thinking ... How to provide immediate and non-intrusive
feedback of this kind iwhen the input is audio. The characteristic of
the feedback I described above depends on people being able to
perceive what they are entering at the same time as the response, so
locating the feedback boxes next to the input box is effective. For
voice input, the act of entering data and receiving a response seems
to require a more distinct asynchronous process: speak a letter, hear
"ok", speak a letter, hear "ok". . But could people be taught to
listen for and recognize a continuous background tone that is neutral,
but that changes pitch to indicate a conforming reply? Perhaps a bell
ding or happy chord would be the positive sound. Could be used in any
audio capable interface where you want to test for complying data
input -- I
I don't have much experience with games -- maybe the games designers
have solved this one elegantly already.

On 10/23/08, R. Groot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm breaking my head on the following for some time now and I hope you have
> a fresh look or good experience to share.
>
> *Scenario*
> - A user needs to create password (for a new account)
> - The password has to comply to two out of three certain rules (certain
> length, upper- and/or lowercase letter, and number)
>
> *My solution so far*
> At this moment I use an explanatory text which tells the user what rules the
> password has to comply to. But since people don't read...
>
> Looking forward to your visions, links, experiences!
>
> Kind regards,
> Rein

Darlene Pike / Pike Design

Web coding for technically challenged visionaries™

web: www.PikeDesign.com
ph: 973-600-7113