Penn State has a relatively recent pilot program going with the Sony Reader:

http://alumni.libraries.psu.edu/libtodaySony.html
I think it's too early for them to have any results yet, but you might try
reaching out to some of the librarians named in the article.

Also, LISnews has an Electronic Publications blog you might find useful:
http://lisnews.org/taxonomy/term/69?page=1

Would you mind sharing your thoughts on e-readers and why you're looking for
research?

For what it's worth, after evaluating a few devices for use at an academic
institution, here are my top 10 e-reader wishes in no particular order:
1. Gigabytes of (expandable) storage for all documents- be they books,
journal and other articles (DOC/PDF), web pages / blogs / wikis,
presentations, etc...
2. The ability to tag documents
3. Annotation: A stylus to take notes on the page.
4. Multimedia: MP3's, animations, etc…
5. No DRM / filetype restrictions.
6. Long battery life, think days not hours
7. Connectivity: WiFi, USB, Bluetooth
8. Expansion: software/firmware updates, 3rd party applications
9. Robustness: Users should be able to throw this in my bag like a "real"
book.
10. Search: full text in the body of the text, titles, tags, annotations,
citation chaining and "more like this…"

- Mike
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.mikezarro.com