On 6 Nov 2008, at 19:30, Cyrus Karbassiyoon wrote:
[snip]
Explorer Paradigm:
Our first thought is to recreate the explorer paradigm on the web. In order to select the pictures, the user could rubber band select the 100 pictures
or press [ctrl + a].  The user could then [ctrl + click] to deselect
pictures.

Can't recall ever seeing this used for image selection on a web app.

Check box paradigm:
Another option would be to turn the thumbnails into "checkboxes" such that if the thumbnail was clicked, it would be selected. If the thumbnail was in a selected state and then clicked, it would be deselected. This is somewhat
similar to what SmugMug does at their buy pictures page:
https://secure.smugmug.com/cart/batchadd.mg?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.moonriverphotography.com%2Fgallery%2F634937_G88Gj%23104246074_2sxSN

Seen this used several times (e.g as well as SmugMug it's used on Flickr when organising images).

- Has any research been done on this topic and are the results publicly
available?
- Do non-technical people get [ctrl+click] to deselect? If so, do they
understand that on the web?

[snip]

I don't know of any research - but I've generally found when user testing web apps that require right/ctrl-clicking folk tend to get confused quite quickly. It's not something folk are used to doing.

Cheers,

Adrian