You might try a static info panel area instead. A very simple example would be the way the browser status bar used to show links before you clicked on them. If you want to see the same thing in use in something that's probably more complicated than your dialog, check out the integrated help panel at the bottom of the UI for native instruments kontakt here:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2007/09/13/native-instruments-announces-kontakt-3/

you can go to native-instruments.com and download a trial if you want to see it in action. or poke around for other picts and videos, although I think it is clear enough from the picture.

MT