My first piece of feedback being rather more on the facetious side, I
thought - inspired by Will's ongoing commentary - that I might elucidate
somewhat.

I don't like the site. I don't want to search blindly through an
undifferentiated list of objects in the (possibly) vain hope of finding
something useful. The site works a little bit like that memory game you play
with pairs of symbols, except you never 'show' anything, and there's no
sense of completion; ever. The objects you have viewed don't even retain
some hint or clue as to what was in them after you close them; they just
rather unhelpfully turn themselves grey.

I'm all for 'fun' and 'play' in Web sites, but there are certain
characteristics that are required - like rewards, for example.

The interaction design isn't particularly unique - you see similar concepts
in use in mind mapping tools for example - so it doesn't even really qualify
in the 'innovation' stakes.

Overall I thought this was an idea that was released into the world with a
lot of thought and work still to do.

Steve

2008/12/17 Will Evans <wkeva...@gmail.com>

> Oh, right - and one more thing -
>
> Perhaps we should have a completely different set of heuristics by which we
> review and discuss sites clearly designed by a marketing/advertising agency.
> We should not use HCI, usability heuristics, best practices or notions of
> affordance or any other design principle found in the literature and beaten
> into us by demanding sadist professors.
>
> Think of it as - um - handicapping, fairness doctrine, or simply short-bus
> special treatment. It's unfair to judge them using the same measuring stick
> as real UX professionals; it's bad for their self-esteem and we should be
> sensitive to that. Not all pigs are created equal - some are more unequal
> than others - certainly the ones prone to putting on more lipstick.
>

> ~ will
>
> "Where you innovate, how you innovate,
> and what you innovate are design problems"

> Will Evans | User Experience Architect
> tel: +1.617.281.1281 | w...@semanticfoundry.com
> aim: semanticwill
> gtalk: semanticwill
> twitter: semanticwill
> skype: semanticwill

> On Dec 16, 2008, at 3:00 PM, Will Evans wrote:
>
>  Keep wondering about this marketing website. And the topic won't seem to
>> die.
>> 1. If we all adhered to rules, where would innovation come from. I am not
>> defending the site, usable is only one facet in the 7 facet honeycomb of
>> user experience, and it's importance is ONLY relative to the context of the
>> design, the goals of the business/stakeholders and the users. I have no idea
>> what those are - but usable is just one attribute, not all 7, and even the
>> most ardent, hardcore Jacob Nielson that I have talked to is incapable of
>> answer this one simple question:
>> "When reviewing an application, product, or website -- when do you/your
>> team deem it 'usable enough'"?
>> 2. Ogilvy, one of the founders of modern advertising, had a book, Ogilvy
>> on Advertising, which is a classic. It also has a number of rules regarding
>> effective positioning, branding, and selling of a product. If everyone in
>> advertising followed that book religiously, we would have never have had the
>> "True" ads for Budweiser. Or the frogs.
>>
>> Rules of thumb are good; heuristics, well applied, are useful, but
>> orthodoxy is an evil slave-master beating creativity and innovation into
>> desperate submission and it's your obligation to challenge him and his
>> bastard step-child, "design patterns."
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Rock On!
>>

>> ~ will
>>
>> "Where you innovate, how you innovate,
>> and what you innovate are design problems"

>> Will Evans | User Experience Architect
>> tel: +1.617.281.1281 | w...@semanticfoundry.com
>> aim: semanticwill
>> gtalk: semanticwill
>> twitter: semanticwill
>> skype: semanticwill

>> On Dec 16, 2008, at 11:48 AM, Kevin wrote:

> [...]

Steve 'Doc' Baty | Principal Consultant | Meld Consulting | P: +61 417 061
292 | E: steveb...@meld.com.au | Twitter: docbaty

Blog: http://docholdsfourth.blogspot.com
Contributor - UXMatters - www.uxmatters.com
UX Book Club: http://uxbookclub.org/ - Read, discuss, connect.