On 19 Dec 2008, at 10:48, Maria De Monte wrote:

Hello folks,

talking about web 2.0 and its moving toward a 3.0 era, I've been questioning myself about how web 2.0 has prompted accessibility problems by people with disabilities. It seems to me, in fact, that disability matters are still solved with classic solutions.

However, I think the possibilites given by web 2.0, and the new coding languages which came up with it, give huge possibilities towards shaping web services to solve disability concerns in web surfing.

Have you any good examples of web 2.0 applications with strong disability concerns?
[snip]

You might find some of the AbilityNet Accessibility 2.0 Podcasts of interest. See <http://www.abilitynet.org.uk/newsarticle68>.

There's some nice stuff about things like EasyYouTube (a YouTube player aimed at folk with learning disabilities), accessibiity of web2.0 apps like twitter, ARIA support in screen readers, etc.

There was one talk (sorry - the speaker escapes me at the moment) that introduced me to the interesting idea that while some web apps are written in a way that is inaccessible for use for some groups - they also help access in other areas.

e.g. while many of Flickr's forms and widgets are inaccessible - they make it much more likely that folk tag, describe, etc. the photos - which in turn makes the resources more accessible.

Not listened to them all yet - but some are quite interesting.

Adrian