On Dec 27, 2008, at 11:47 PM, Angel Marquez wrote:

I was thinking you would do your research, create personas based on your findings, find their real life equivalents, and use something similar to the character sheets to track their behaviors during usability testing with
prototypes etc..
THEN

Use those stats to fine tune the design while collecting the character types
and offering them to the cyber community.

It was a fleeting morning coffee thought though...

It's an interesting notion.

I like the idea of tying together with some uniform structure all phases of the deliverables, from early design through refinement and launch. At an abstract level, I think that's what you're describing.

I'm a big fan of functional-level personas: personas that are created and curated with specific functionality in mind. Using this approach, when you're designing the print functionality of your product, you'd create and use different personas than if you're creating a data-merge capability. This way the personas and scenarios are tightly tied to the functionality you're focusing on.

I like functional-level personas better than design-project-wide personas because it's easier to have them inform the specific design requirements. No doubt, they take more time and effort (at least to get started -- over time the team creates a substantial library of personas which can be rejuvenated for new functionality). I think the initial cost is worth it, but I know a lot of folks disagree.

I think in my approach of these lower-level personas, sharing them with the cyber community is less valuable, since it's unlikely that they are expressed in any applicable form for people not working on the localized project.

However, there's a lot to be said for some relative of the DnD character sheets to help with the curation of the ever growing library of user research data, personas, and their match with the library of patterns and components.

Don't give up on this idea. I think there's something to it.

:)

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: jsp...@uie.com p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks  Twitter: jmspool