Hi Sam,

We have just carried out some remote usability testing on this issue.
Postcode lookup only seams to work in the UK, and the Netherlands for
starters.

You need to ask for House Number or Name to reduce the number on the list of
returned houses.

Most people are used to enter their address so that they are very fast at
it. We found that people could enter their address faster than the system
would come back to them with the correct information.

Most participants found the process frustrating.

The system actually confuses people as it only asks them to enter a house
number, and a postcode, when they want to type the full street address. I.e.
if the address was 23 anywhere avenue. People often typed the full street in
anyway. The system has to take a long field anyway as houses can have names
as well as numbers.

Form validation is a nightmare as houses in the UK, can have names, as well
as numbers.

The one point going for it is Address Validation, but then often there a
time lag on the system been updated with the correct information, and
therefore this even leads to issues.

James
http://blog.feralabs.com/