I was a hiring manager at a large agency for more than 10 years, and
in that time I did hundreds of interviews and saw every conceivable
sort of portfolio. A few thoughts on what I expected to see:

- From my experience, there is no "standard" for interaction
design, as compared to what students in graphic design or other
fields are taught to present. Because the interview is often more
about process than end product, people present their work in a
variety of ways.

- That said, having a nicely organized and designed book does reflect
well on the candidate. I have seen both a spiral bound book and a
loose-leaf binder with clear plastic pockets for documents work well
when presented.

- Bring samples of the full range of deliverables you're experienced
in producing. If it's a very large document (like a spec), you can
bring just a section. Pick out a representative page that you can
highlight and talk about.

- Many deliverables (wireframes, sitemaps, inventories) are really
quite dull to look at without some context, and they all tend to look
the same after a while. Being able to tell an engaging story about the
"why" and the "how" is crucial. (This sounds obvious but many
people are not prepared with this.)

- Showing multiple iterations of a design is also a nice way to
illustrate your thinking; I always enjoyed seeing this but did not
see it that often.

- I always ask to see more strategic documents, illustrating how
decisions got made based on user research and business goals. Many
candidates did not have examples of this nature.

- I believe that having a printed portfolio to bring to the interview
is an absolute requirement, even if one also has an online portfolio.
It is frustrating to want to review work samples in the interview and
be told that "it's only online" which often means having to go
fetch a laptop. (Also, always bring a printed resume to the interview
as a courtesy.)

- Never leave work samples with the interviewer that you expect to
get back. If it's your only copy of a document, consider using a
photocopier. Asking for things to be returned will result at best in
the interviewer being annoyed and at worst in tears and
recriminations.

- YOU CAN edit your documents to be appropriate for your portfolio.
They don't have to be exactly what you showed the client. For
example, you can add a cover page that explains the goals of the
project, and rearrange the structure of the document if that seems
more appropriate.

Per Scott's point on getting the candidate actively engaged in
problem solving -- I have used a variety of approaches like this over
the years. The ideal interview for me is when the candidate is so
engaging that I don't feel the need to resort to exercises.
Conversely, sometimes I will jump to a portfolio review or a design
exercise when I feel the interview is going badly and I want to give
the candidate a chance to shift gears. One of my favorite exercises
is to ask the candidate for a review of our own corporate website. It
puts the person on the spot a bit and I can see how well they can
offer constructive feedback.