I like 'ethnography', but feel it requires a specification.
eg: 'design ethnography'

On Jan 23, 2009, at 4:04 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:

I've often described how I do what I for a living as "wearing someone
else's hat" fir a while.

That could be the name. OR...

I crowdsourced for names on Twitter over the last couple of days, and many people continually tried to latch onto terms that already mean other things. David Malouf, for example, advocated hard for "ethnography", but ethnography is like sushi — it represents a type, not a specific thing. Lots of people know what ethnography is, but far fewer seem to know about this particular approach to doing research. I think it needs a name of its own so that we
can reference it in conversations without having to explain it ("By
ethnography, I mean I actually did the job of a call center employee for a
few days.")