On Jan 25, 2009, at 5:06 PM, s wrote:

It's always boggled my mind why the gov't doesn't put UX advocates (including designers, researchers, coders, QA) front and center in the design of citizen-technology interfaces.

Actually, there are a lot of very talented designers and researchers working in the US government, the Canadian government, and other governments around the world.

But just because those people are there doesn't stop other people from creating crappy interfaces. Government doesn't have a corner on crappy interfaces. They are a world-wide phenomena, spanning all industries and sectors.

Don't even get me started on voting.

There are many people working really hard on this problem. It's a really hard problem. If you want to help, I know a team that is looking for volunteers.

Does anyone have any experience/ evidence... HOPE?? to the contrary?

In the last 10 years, there's become a real awareness of the importance of good design in government systems. I have a lot of hope that we'll see real improvements, especially with the youthful experience of the incoming US administration.

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: jsp...@uie.com p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks  Twitter: jmspool
UIE Web App Summit, 4/19-4/22: http://webappsummit.com