On Jan 28, 2009, at 6:24 AM, Peter Morville wrote:

Jeffery Callender and I collaborated on this article...
http://semanticstudios.com/publications/semantics/000228.php

...and on a collection of icons and images...

http://flickr.com/photos/morville/sets/72157612907604234/
...and we'd love feedback and suggestions. Thanks!

What happened to good ol' paper and pencil and just simple sketching?

Also, what happened accurate screenshots and pixel-perfect mockups, the software and interface design equivalent of blueprints for building a house? These are very much different than a concept sketch.

My biggest concern with the article is that it presents each deliverable evenly with no weight. In reality, some of those deliverables are for purposes of process and can sometimes become busywork if not throttled properly, and others are more meat and potatoes deliverables that quite frankly, no project can ever get sign off without them.

Which leads me to say that the absence of pixel-perfect mockups that are in essence, a visual specification of what the final end product will actually look like is a massive hole in the article that should be filled.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world