I've been thinking about the open source movement.

I know very little of the UX community's involvement, so firstly I'm posting
to ask what has been happening so far.  Mozilla, Open Office and some others
must have had serious UX involvement.  Secondly, if it doesn't already
exist, I wonder if there's the potential for us to structure some kind of
virtual agency that would allow us to engage effectively.

Few thoughts

 - In my opinion, several OS projects are incredible achievements that are
hampered by small usability problems or even just language issues.  I really
believe in the movement.  I think some corners of it need our help.

 - UX involvement, unlike coder involvement, might be more effective if the
people weren't aligned to a single project, so maybe the movement doesn't
naturally structure itself to include us.

 - Be a good way to spread the UX word, and a good way for us to collaborate
and learn from each other.  Might be especially useful for people trainign
in UX.  Maybe meetings like the book club but instead the topic is an open
source project that everyone's looked in advance.

Any thoughts?  Knowledge of UX involvement so far?

Tom

Tom Coombs
http://www.manwomanandchild.com
+44 (0) 7968 151198