I've also realized that one thing which works very well for open
source development (and not design) are branching and merging
activities. So far, these activities do not translate very well into
visual deliverables such as wireframes as design elements are not
very modular. Lacking such modularity it is very difficult to have
multiple designers work separately and merge "design elements" or
"design rules" into one coherent whole.

As posted in a newer thread, this is one area which I plan to think
about and tackle with a new UI prototyping tool (also open source).
If everything goes well to plan, the tool will allow for the creating
of design element alternatives (branching) as well as merging of
various design elements from different sources.

Check out http://www.fluidia.org and ping me if you're also
interested in working on this.

Jakub Linowski