Hi Jesse,

This is exactly why I eschewed a pure design education back in the late 90s,
both as an undergrad and grad. The explanation I received from my instructors
(two leading US design schools) about their design decisions / rational left me
completely dissatisfied as a young design student. Most of these institutions
have since introduced design research electives into their programs as well as
interdisciplinary team projects / theses. What kind of research training those
courses actually provide, I don't know. Having taught research methods to
industrial design graduate students, I do realize that they are not always
receptive to pure research or fail to see the real value (I probably would not
have recognized either as a college student), but I may have been partially to
blame for that.

On the other contrary, I also find that pure researchers / engineers / business
people often get caught up in a sort of analysis paralysis, where every design
decision must have supporting data, which is in itself is an impossible problem
as you know, given that such data does not always exist (or is simply
reflective of past solutions). Moreover, I often come across design
recommendations (or "managerial
implications") in research publications generated by engineers,
marketing science, human factors folks that are completely devoid of
creativity or innovation. I feel that human factors / marketing  / engineering
doctoral programs need to include additional interdisciplinary design education
(as Davis suggests), along the lines of Stanford's d school model, and perhaps
this is where doctoral programs in design find their niche.

Long story short, I agree with Davis's statement that the lines are no longer
clear: businesses are aware that design has a real effect on consumer behavior
with the fast transfer of information on the web multiplying any effect of good
/ bad product design (online product reviews, etc.) and this makes design
research all the more important. Design students need to be trained to
understand (business / engineering / social sciences) research, and there is a
definite need for good infrastructure / database to support the transfer of
information (a designer's version of ACM's digital library or PsycInfo), and
talented educators...designer / research hybrids...to fill the current gaps. I
think there are a lot of highly qualified people on this mailing list who can
do it.

Phil

“Few undergraduate design students, especially those in
single-discipline colleges of art in the USA, engage in original, disciplined
inquiry intended to inform design decisions, nor do most learn how to read and
apply research findings from other fields."