While on a contract recently, I learned how to use Omnigraffle. During
the entire time on my contract, I switched between Omingraffle and
Visio (running in Parallels) depending on which project I was working
on.  I will say that using Visio in parallels was a pain.  It was slow
and killed the performance of my system although it could just be that
I was using an older powermac laptop.  Also, a lot of Visio keyboard
shortcuts didn't work in Parallels (zooming with the mouse scroll
wheel anyone?)

I really enjoyed using Omnigraffle and loved how easy it was to use
to create compelling artifacts.  Here is a list of some things I
particularly found better in Omnigraffle than in Visio:

1. Selecting various page details is easier (you don't have to
encompass the whole thing with the selection box as in Visio).

2. Multiple layers and shared layers are much better (instead of
having a number of different Visio pages as backgrounds).  Also,
being able to easily lock down a layer is great as well.

3. In documents with a lot of pages (canvases in OG), the navigation
between pages is a lot easier using the left hand Canvas list as
opposed to the Visio tabs (uggggghhh!)

4. The ever present workspace dialogs in OG makes editing page
elements a lot faster.  It's much better than Visio's multi-tabbed
window dialogs and multi-level context menus.

5. Aligning elements is easier and the ability to specify a specific
sized space between elements is really cool.  However, the Visio
shape distribution feature is awesome and I think that is something
missing in OG.

6. Creating sitemaps in OG is extremely easy thanks to the outlining
feature which allows you to type an outline which is simultaneously
created visually (with connection and everything).  This saves a lot
of time when creating complicated sitemaps.  However, the way OG
deals with configuring connection points and the manipulation of
connectors is a little weird and imprecise and I can be pretty anal
so this drives me crazy.

7. The ability in OG to create Clickable PDF prototypes is awesome
but I wished that it supported other actions than just linking to
another page (canvas).  In one wireframe I was working on, I had some
show and hide layer actions specified to demonstrate modal windows and
the process of selecting a drop down menu item to create a list item
filter.  However, I had to create multiple pages for these actions
instead so that my clickable prototype worked.  This makes going
throught the PDF page by page a little more difficult because of all
the extra pages.

On the whole, I find OG easier and faster to use. It might not be as
full featured as Visio but do we need or even use all those
additional features in creating UX/IA artifacts? I doubt it.