I can't find it but I remember reading an article about a touchscreen
UI that was used for intake at a pediatrician's office. Kids were
MUCH more likely to respond honestly to mental health questions
(e.g., do you ever think about suicide?) on a computer than they were
if a doctor or nurse asked them the same question or gave them a paper
questionnaire. So I suspect you are correct that the computer feels
more like a neutral or non-judgmental intermediary.

If your audience is illiterate, you'll need to provide spoken
instructions on the kiosk itself. The start screen might have a
picture of a hand or something that indicates it can be touched. Or
maybe one of the staff can help the user get started by selecting the
right language for him.

You'll probably have some persistent navigation like "help,"
"repeat," "go back" and the like. Explain in the beginning what
these buttons do and highlight them when the narrator talks about
their function. Color cues may be a problem if your users are color
blind, so combine this with common symbols and/or shapes.

Not sure how you will do the intake portion without a keyboard.  I
imagine you'll have to present a short multiple choice list (with
photographs?), read the choices to the user, and allow him to touch
his choice. Does it make sense to have them speak their answers to
the kiosk? Privacy, dialect, and enunciation may be problems with
this.

My experience is that people really like touchscreens. If done
correctly, they are empowering to the user and give him a feeling of
control, and in your case, hopefully, dignity.