Thanks everyone for the great answers. I have a follow up question.
The colleague that has put together the initial persona sketches has
included a couple of attributes that are specifically geared toward
selling the end product.

Specifically, for example, he created one called "Decision Maker"
that he explains the purpose as "Links to the selling process that
we use (if any). Likely candidates are:  SPIN, Solution Selling, or
Strategic Selling.  Agree regarding the goals. "

Here's how that is articulated on one of the personas:

"Can voice a %u201Cno%u201D and make the selling process more
difficult.  Requires overcoming specific objections.  Will share
experiences with the Marketing Director, and likely to be the person
to show the Marketing Director how to use the system or outcome from
the system.  "

Again I'm thinking - this doesn't belong. It seems like that
information could be included in the personal profile section, if at
all? Basically we can say they are an influencer in decision making?

It seems to me a persona is not about selling, it's about designing
properly. And if we design properly, we won't have to concern
ourselves with how the sales force is going to sell it, because it
will satisfy our target user needs and they should want it.

I'm having a hard time articulating myself on this one, especially
with my colleague, and I feel like he may dig his heels in on this
one.

I'm really not sure how I would go about using what he wrote there
as part of the design process. It's good to know they may have a
certain effect on the decision making process, but again - if I've
understood his needs and met them with my product... I'm just
repeating myself now.

Thoughts?