I see the point of the original post, but I disagree. Granted, as most
do, that nothing can truly replace face-to-face, saying that
technology forcibly determines its own use is an oversimplification -
however much the media may be the message.

On the one hand, the public media space has always been a venue for
"serious" discourse, and even for serious emotion (think of the
many printed and radio memorials to Updike recently). On the other,
the fact that social tech mediates through a largely textual
interface does nothing to diminish the fact that, pre-phone
especially and pre-web at least, letter writing was used for both
very serious and frivolous purposes.

Last year, a childhood friend of mine died - after almost a month in
a coma - from a brain aneurysm. While she was in an uncertain state,
there was a Facebook group, but also a - admittedly semi-private -
group on the site Carepages.com. On Carepages, her family let out
regular updates, people shared memories and commiserated on forums,
and then, ultimately, grieved briefly together. As one of my friends
put it, "It's like the entire town was in her waiting room," that
town including friends dispersed on both coasts. I am sure that this
helped those who were too far from the town to come for the funeral
come to terms with the support of a larger group - the mediation
notwithstanding.

Life-changing matters will certainly always have a more face-to-face
component, because it is at those times that things like twitter or
FB can seem most "frivolous". But as certain online social
activities become more normalized, they will become more intimate and
integrated for some users - indeed as they have proven to be already.

We risk underestimating the potential of our own work, our own
industry, and the future of both the web and human communication if
we take a too deterministic view of evolving platforms.

My 2 cents.