IMO, the vast majority of social networking communication is
background noise. But to go from that to, "...since online
interaction lacks the human elements of empathetic facial responses,
body language, and touch, will social networking media be relegated
to only the more frivolous types of interpersonal communication?" I
think is simply going to far.

What of all the books, diaries, letters, and poems that have been
written over the millennia. No human contact, no empathetic facial
the Gettysburg Address to me for it to be real? It's simply a
ridiculous proposition.

Now granted, in the history of the written word most of what has been
set to stone, or papyrus, or paper or a computer screen has not been
of earth shattering importance, nor does it offer the window into the
soul of ones humanity. Why would social networking be any different?
Why is the spoken word any different for that matter? I've heard
(and said) a lot of useless things in my life - that's just to be
expected. The important stuff is rare regardless of the delivery
mechanism.

No format is in itself doomed to frivolity. It may favor it, but not
exclude all potential for greater moments.