Hello there, interesting post... I've been questioning myself about
the utility of personas as well, especially when working with
engineers not used to using them in the design phase.
However, I still believe they are, and will remain, useful in each
design phase: there will always be a moment in which you'll say
"suppose x is using this system" where x is one of your personas.
And in these cases, the better the persona profile, the more the
information on its interaction with what you're working on.
I've been teaching and working in marketing for awhile, and the
first step is, and always will be, knowing your customer, that is, in
other words, designing your persona, and the one you mean to target.
There could be mistakes in foreseeing behavior, but I don't think
this should affect the persona design, but probably understand when
the imagined persona needs to become a test user, and how this should
affect our design process.
Web is changing, after all...