@todd
>last week working through 1000+ data points collected
So... Just because you have collected all this data, does not prove or show
anything. Many people in the stock market collected 1,000,000's
and 1,000,000's of data points, and their models where wrong, very wrong.

What matters is does your method predicts the behaviour of real people using
the site you are designing. And can the method be tested?

Nobody is arguing that you can't collect themes. What is been argued is that
you can pick and mix themes to create a composite human? That then becomes
fiction.

We can say that most Scandinavians are taller than most American people. We
can say more Americans go to university than Scandinavians. Additionally people
that go university are clever than people that don't. As soon as we mix then
up so that we create our composite persona we end up with the clever short
American, and the dumb tall Scandinavian. Both are fiction.

Some would argue that my example is a bad persona, and they only create good
personas. The question is how do you tell what a bad persona is?

Each theme is interesting but combined they are fiction.

How do doctors identify illnesses?

Not by personas! unless you go to a Witch doctor, but by a set of heuristics
(as defined by Imre Lakatos, not *Nielsen*), and there are many other
methods, and theories. The doctor builds evidence. Some of it
is qualitative , some of it is quantitative. You can create quantitative
findings from qualitative data, but it is very hard to go the other way. The
maths gets very hard (you move from A vs B to multivariate).

I said earlier

> When writers merge real life characters together the work becomes
> fiction. How do get around the challenge of theory?

The challenge of personas is that I know of no theory that backs them up.
Find me one!

Can you describe how you communicate the mappings one to one? How would you
> communicate findings from 40+ interviews across 17 different customers from
> 5 different countries

We talk about the themes, and give examples using real people. The
same way anthropologists
have been doing it since Malinowski.

When a new theme develops it means that we do not have to alter a persona.

James
http://blog.feralabs.com