There is lots of research on this. I would start with a nice little
paper by my own supervisor, Stephen Payne:

Payne, S. J. (1991) A descriptive study of mental models. Behaviour
and Information Technology, 10 (1),3-21

Plus he has a chapter in the book HCI Models, Theories, and
Frameworks by John Carroll (might be worth reading the rest of this)
called "Mental models: the very ideas"

You could go back further and read the seminal works too. Two books
were published in 1984, one by Johnson-Laird and the other by Gentner
and Stevens both titled, "Mental Models" as you're doing doctoral
research. There are more concise summaries that may tell you all you
need to know but it is better to go to the primary source if you
can.

I understand that someone else recently published a book under the
same title/