Interesting point. Strikes me as a metaphor which has become slightly
divorced from its original meaning. Most users would automatically
associate it with "save", although they're probably not thinking,
"that must be save, because it looks like a floppy disk".

You might argue that the same has happened (but to a lesser extent)
with the metaphor of the envelope for email. Many of us use email far
more than the "real world" post(?), and don't necessarily equate the
sending of an email with sending a letter, but the envelope icon
persists and has less of a "metaphorical" meaning.

So, what I guess I'm trying to say is, if the icons take on a new
meaning of their own over time do they even need to change?

Just a thought.

David