Has there been any research or best practices posted around Primary
Navigation?

Specifically I want to find out:
1)      The benefit of duplicating a primary navigation link as the first
link in its drop-down.  (Example:  You have a primary navigation item
labeled “Solutions” and when you hover over it a drop-down appears
that has its first link called “Overview”  which takes the user to
the same page as clicking the “Solutions” link)

2)      Expected consistency of using drop-downs with primary navigation
items.  (Example: You have 5 primary navigation items, 4 of them uses
a drop-down while only 1 of them doesn’t)

I know there are some great general resources like:
- Designing Drop-Down Menus: Examples and Best Practices:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/03/24/designing-drop-down-menus-examples-and-best-practices
- Mega Drop-Down Navigation Menus Work Well:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/mega-dropdown-menus.html
- Designing Web Navigation:
http://books.google.com/books?id=LC0cG-vFJbcC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Designing+Web+Navigation

If you don’t know of any formal research I would love to hear your
personal option as well.

Thanks for the help,
:Dennis