J. Ambrose Little wrote:

> This is an honest question. What are some of the non-software
> things that you all see interaction designers doing?

I'm currently designing a new department for my company.

I've also worked on projects to envision end-to-end business
scenarios X years in the future. These scenarios describe the
interaction of people, businesses, services, and yes, software.

> Of those, how many are not currently being done by others with
> already-defined and different titles (e.g., industrial designers)?

For the former, I suppose that this work is more typically done by
professionals in the HR field, and likely there is a large body of
work on "organizational design" of which I must confess ignorance.
We (my team of designers and I) are using techniques that we know and
that seemed appropriate: service design and interaction design
techniques.

For the latter project, I imagine that many design communities have
techniques to approach projects like this. I think of the work as
interaction design (in no small part because that's my background).
The techniques that we're using (personas and scenarios) are ones
that are not exclusive to IxD, but they are are certainly the meat
and potatoes of our field.

For a very thorough example of interaction design beyond software, I
would refer you back to Robert Fabricant's keynote at IxD '09.