On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:40 AM, David Malouf <d...@ixda.org> wrote:

> Maybe all the people out there who want this big UX thing just
> haven't found the right community for you.

This sounds a lot like one person is defining the IxDA, and if you don't
like it, you can go play on some other playground.  I can only hope you
didn't mean for it to come across that way..

One of the things that's nice about IxDA is indeed the proliferation of
opinions.  In fact, it seems like it ends up being more of the UX big tent
than other communities out there, even to those who don't like "UX" or "big
tent." It makes this group vibrant (read: hard to keep up with).

In my research and observation of this group and others, starting as
something of an outsider and slowing moving towards the inside, has been
that interaction design and the other activities that "UX professionals"
engage in are indeed ultimately software related.  I hear people suggesting
that it is more than that, but I haven't seen much concreteness to this.

Certainly, many, if not most, of the principles and techniques are not
software-specific; however, it seems like interaction design is specifically
the application of those principles and techniques gleaned from other
(design) disciplines to the software space.

This is an honest question.  What are some of the non-software things that
you all see interaction designers doing?  Of those, how many are not
currently being done by others with already-defined and different titles
(e.g., industrial designers)?  I'm looking for specifics situations where
what you think of as interaction design is being done that is not related to
software.

TIA.

-ambrose