Richard, no worries. Sorry to jump on the defining. I understand the
desire for identifying a "common ground", and while UX maybe the
generally accepted & common label to roll all those ideas into one
neat label, I just fear it's too slick, too
marketing/corporate/managerial as Kolko says, and thus glazing over
the intricacy of some very rich, profound issues of "interaction"
and "information", etc. BTW, I totally admit using "UX" in my
daily speak with ordinary folks, or with clients since it pays the
bills and it's easy :-)

But as design professionals amongst ourselves we should strive a bit
more, with real discourse into the theories, strategies, methods,
philosophies to establish a meaningful foundation, and UX just isn't
enough for that endeavor IMHO.

So then, what's our common ground? Malcolm references "digital
ground" which is useful. I created this diagram which may offer some
further clues, from rhetorical communication theory:
http://tinyurl.com/cf9cxu. Andrei and I used this for our design
class last year at SJSU.

The main point is the constituent elements of presentation /
structure / behavior across various perspectives, their common
interdependency towards supporting dialogues between people and
products...

(PS-- we really should get Dick Buchanan to speak at the next IxD
conference :-)