Dan,

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Dan Saffer <d...@odannyboy.com> wrote:
> There are many products that have limited information architecture, but a
> lot of interaction design: [snip]

I can't think of a single product you list that wouldn't be made
better with a thoughtful approach to the way they convey information.
And every one conveys information... whether it be primarily a
"content-vessel" or not. Many of them will also be part of a family of
products, and the design of the information they convey needs to be
thought out to the way their siblings do it. These are
information-rich design challenges.

To me, the distinction between the two areas is quite simple: the
focus of IxD is designing for behavior, while the focus of IA is
designing for meaningfulness. They are different lens that I put on
when working on different aspects of a project. In 15+ years that I've
been designing stuff (admittedly, mainly websites), I've not yet run
across a project that didn't require both. (In different measures, for
sure.) To suggest that these areas of focus can be independent of each
other only serves to place artificial limits on our scope as
designers.

> A digital toy or game can have a lot of interactivity but no "content" to be
> structured.

Can you give an example of a game with no content?

Cheers,

~ Jorge