Andy, I second your thoughts. I think that the film industry has
several things to teach us. It has solved how to deal with large
projects, big budgets, a lot of people involved, and an unknown
outcome.

We have recently organized a session with  software developers and a
film producer to find out what we have in common, and what we can
learn from each other.

What we certainly don't have in common, is maturity, as Jorge
observed. The film industry roles, skills and methodologies are the
result of an evolutionary process that spanned more than a hundred
years. The term "interaction designer" was just established in
2003...

--

Santiago Bustelo / Buenos Aires, Argentina

//// IxDA BA es el primer grupo local en castellano.
//// Te esperamos! http://groups.google.com/group/ixda-ba

On 31/03/2009, at 17:48, Andy Polaine wrote:
> The more I think about this the more I think back to my early
training in film and video. One of the things I really appreciate
about the film production model starts off from the premise that you
need several skillsets in order to make one thing and that the
collaboration works pretty seamlessly.
> I have often wondered why this hasn't happened in our area and the
reason is that what our (broader) community suffers from isn't a lack
of role definition, it's a lack of a single goal and medium.