I should just call this the Mozilla Labs + JJG + Drupal 7 post.

As has been mentioned in many, many, many, threads over the past week
and a half, JJG said some very interesting and inspiring things in his
keynote at the end of the IA Summit. One that stuck in my head was how
we as designers (whether IAs, IxDs, UxDs, or something else is
immaterial) are going to start building a language of critique, and
how we're going to move away from being famous talkers-about-work to
being famous makers-of-things.

It seems like one of the first steps in this evolution of critique is
understanding what exactly it means to share our work. There's
certainly precedent for sharing design work:

* You can share sketches: http://idek.net/6Jp
* You can share wireframes: http://idek.net/6Jm
* You can share screenflows: http://idek.net/6Jn
* You can share screenshots: http://patterntap.com
* You can share design patterns: http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns/

These are great ways to share the the documentation of the work, but
they don't really get at sharing THE WORK. Regardless of medium, this
is a forum for design in interactive environments (yes, even that
brochure site is interactive, just not very), yet we don't really have
a way to share that interactivity.

Additionally, I'm not sure how I go about sharing the work that *I*
do. I am not a lone wolf, the successful completion of the work I do
relies on project management, visual design, a development team, the
client, and in many cases the people with whom we do research and
evaluation. I have approximately zero experience in marketing or
advertising, but it seems like the work in those fields frequently
acknowledges the contributions of many roles. As a film geek, I know
that a movie is the sum of many parts, with astoundingly long credit
reels to acknowledge those parts. So maybe the simplest thing is to
start acknowledging those teams when we share our work.

I was inspired to write this post not only by JJG, but by Mozilla
Labs, and by the Drupal 7 UX project. Janna sent a post to the list
tonight about a nascent project at Mozilla Labs to develop a site
where the community could provide ideas and designs for future Mozilla
projects. Mozilla seems to be betting there dump trucks full of cash
on the future (see Aurora videos - http://adaptivepath.com/aurora/),
and they're interested in open sourcing the design of that future.

The Drupal 7 project (http://www.d7ux.org), led by Mark Boulton and
Leisa Reichelt, is looking for community input on the re-design of the
Drupal CMS UI. They've solicited input in text, images
(http://idek.net/6Jr), videos (http://idek.net/6Js), and more.

These projects seem to be looking towards sharing design in a way that
begins to embrace sharing interaction as well as description. So where
do we go?

Finally, I'm inspired by GitHub (http://github.com). If you're not
familiar with GitHub, it's very much worth exploring. Simply put,
GitHub is a place where developers can host their code. Where GitHub
transcends its many competitors is that it embraces the modern tools
of software development, and weaves itself into the workflow of the
modern developer. Adding code, sharing code, copying code, are all
done as easily from the command line as they are from the website. It
makes me wonder how we would build such a tool for our design work,
one that embraces both medium and tools.

Alright, thanks for reading this far. It's late and my internal editor
seems to have gone to bed, so I'm going to post this as is.

So where do we go? How do I share both my own work, and acknowledge
the contributions of the many others with whom I work? How do we begin
to share not just static snapshots, but actual interactive design?

-- jackson

UX Design @ Viget Labs
PhD Student @ UNC Chapel Hill
Web Monkey @ Triangle UPA