I thoroughly dislike the ever-more bizarre combinations of
alphanumerics that are being required for passwords, even for sites
as simple as a forum. I found the article below after getting in a
heated discussion about the matter with the IT department of a
particular site. (It was the first hit on a google search of
"usability" and "passwords".)

http://www.baekdal.com/articles/Usability/password-security-usability/

Basically, the author discusses how passwords can be both more secure
and more usable by using a string of 2-3 common words rather than a
single word containing random alphanumerics.

I'm not sure it deals directly with your question regarding a
usability threshhold in password strength, but you may find it useful
for an alternative perspective on the issue.

Mike