Hi Chris:

You mentioned the word failure so my ears perked up. I'm kind of the local
failure guy.

> Are there examples of a design solution that were once thought to be
> sound, catastrophically failing after performing as expected for
> length of time?

There are several assumptions lurking in your post that should be called
out.

First, all things fail eventually. That's what makes them good. You design
something for specific people and specific uses, and when your design meets
something you did not plan for, it will typically fail. For example, give
your e-commerce site to my Rottweiler. It will fail spectacularly. And had
you tried to design for both human beings and Rottweilers I suspect you'd
fail them both. The more specific you design something, the more failure
cases you create. But this is ok since there's no way around it. Design is,
in a way, choosing how to fail, or who to fail, or what use cases to fail.

Or put another way, there is no optimal design:
http://www.scottberkun.com/essays/17-the-myth-of-optimal-web-design/

Better designs, elegant designs, fail smarter or fail less, but they all
still fail. Consider that the folks who built the Twin Towers in NYC were
criticized for not building a building that could have handled a fully
fueled 767 crashing into the top floors. Reasonable criticism? You decide.

Case in point - for us in the electronic age, most of our designs entirely
fail when either:

A) The power goes out

Or

B) The entire internet goes down

Show me a website that doesn't fail in those two cases and I'll give the
designer a gold star.

> Design thinking is about creating a narrative of activity, or
> of modeling a behavior and designing solutions that will
> ensure the expected or anticipated behavior.

This is a very dramatic way to describe what designers do. Is there
something wrong with saying designers solve problems? I don't think anyone
who *uses* a parking meter would call their experience with it a narrative,
they really don't want a beginning, middle and end, they want not to think
about the parking meter at all. Do you think the guy who invented Velcro
talked about "modeling the narrative of footwear bindings?" I doubt it.

> If so, what role did the designer play in those failures
> (and the narrative > that was created in the process of design) ?

First, most disasters involve more than one kind of failure. The Titanic
likely had bad rivets, rivets below what the specs called for. Even with
human error, often there are causes for it or unexpected consequences of
that error that deserve investigation.

Events like 9/11 or the Challenger Shuttle disaster are, in part,
organizational failures - where the problem is about who has decision making
authority and how knowledge moves through an org - which is a design
problem, but organizational design.

For many designers the organizational issues are more difficult than the
interaction/aesthetic design issues. Which is why I believe designers should
study organizational behavior, or least brush up on their Machiavelli.

-Scott

Scott Berkun
www.scottberkun.com