Hi Julie,

You'll want to run out and get Luke Wroblewski's "Web Form Design" book, and scan & send out parts of Chapter 13 on Gradual Engagement. Fantastic stuff about working to eliminate monolithic registration forms in favor of progressive sign-up steps that serve user's immediate goals. It's revolutionized a couple designs I've done lately.

Cheers,
Liz