I guess I'm just touchy.

I've also followed that career trajectory, though I actually started with
something more akin to über-traditional IA (building taxonomies for search),
then made my way from back-end towards the front, now splitting time between
front-end development and IA/IxD.

I will say this, I think that the Bay Area has many more do-it-all
developers/designers. My experiences as a dot-commer in SF actually made me
into the generalist I am -- there was a much greater, um, respect (?) for
the well-rounded geek. On the other hand, I've found that being a generalist
is often scoffed at by development team managers in other places I've lived
(including New York, and particularly at agencies). (On the other hand, it
usually ends up earning generalists the respect of both fellow team members,
as well as leaders of other teams. Go figure.)

~ yoni

Jonathan S. Knoll
email: jonat...@infinityplusone.com
web: http://infinityplusone.com/