I get to write the html/css code pretty often in the case of web apps.
 Some times we use frameworks like Eclipse or custom Java apps, and
time constrains make it hard for me to keep up the learning effort.

However, I keep myself involved during the implementation iteration
as a UI "quality assurance" to ensure that both visuals and
interactions are implemented as designed (or better).  Engineers tend
to neglect the presentation layer, or at least they are less
detail-oriented there.

@Adrian Howard:
"the constraints of the medium helped him create"

This is the most refreshing line I have read lately in the Forum.
Design is about solving problems for a particular audience, in a
particular context, using a particular technology.  Regardless of who
ends up writing the actual code, it is vital for the designer to
gradually learn the constrains (and opportunities) of the technology
in which her design is going to be implemented.