I geek out on this. Don't know why. I guess I see IVRs and call centers as
the easiest opportunity for designing great experiences that provide an
immediate impact on the bottom line.
We've audited some IVRs as part of a larger sonic branding and identity
initiative for clients. I'm not an expert (they've already been referenced
in this thread), but here's some of the high-level stuff we look at:
1. Multiple voices are the sonic evidence of a messy operation. It's really
easy to deconstruct a company's haphazard call-center operations when, over
the course of a few minutes, you hear seven different voices, each of them
with varying personalities. (Hmm, that was Texas...there's India...back to
Texas...New Jersey.)

2. Discontinuous music is a discontinuous interface. Callers will inevitably
be transferred from one center to the next. As with voices, music styles
affect our perception of performance. Music and and should fit the moment;
skip the Stevie Wonder in your company's mission-critical hotline and stick
with something that's contextually appropriate. Sounds obvious, but you'd be
amazed at how often companies screw this up.

3. Unattended hold times. This one's obvious, too -- nothing says 'Screw
You' like being put on hold. But the low-hanging fruit here isn't
necessarily to shorten those hold times (easier said than done)...rather,
use a human being right from the start and have them pop in intermittently
so people don't feel ignored. Adrian North's research backs this up --
customers are willing to stay on the line longer if they're 'messaged' on a
regular basis (even with a prerecorded announcement) as opposed to being
stuck with a disingenuous, looping collection of pop tunes.

Just skimming the surface here, there's much more...it's really a matter of
designing for engagement. Versus not. Historically IVRs have been the domain
of engineers, and until we see more brand teams or UX groups involved via
corporate edict or funding power, it's likely to stay the same. (On that
note, great timing for that Buxton piece in BusinessWeek.)

By the way, one of my favorite audits revealed 7 voices, 8 styles of music,
and over four minutes of hold time before I hung up...and that was me acting
as a highest-tier customer. Add that up to X callers per day and the
business case is relatively simple.

Noel Franus
noel.fra...@sonicid.com
415.577.6016