In theory, I prefer scanning a longer list to clicking next 10 times, as
it seems like it would take less time and it gives you a better overall
picture. However, when I tried Google's 10, 20, 30, 50, 100 results
preferences, it was much easier for me to scan through 10 results,
didn't require as much scrolling (which is painful to people with
repetitive stress injuries, fibromyalgia, arthritis, etc.), and made me
feel like I was making progress, which I don't really feel when I'm
scrolling through 50-100 results (I felt no difference in the length of
time or frustration with either of these). So, in practice, although I
am annoyed when I have to click next so soon, it gives my scrolling hand
a break, which makes a big difference in how long I can continue
searching.

On the other hand, if I get 10 pages (100 results at 10 a page) into a
google search, I've pretty much given up on finding whatever it is I'm
looking for.

What about just going Google's route and show 10 at first, for easy
viewing and to reduce scrolling, especially for small displays, but let
those advanced, oft-times younger users with faster hands, set their
preference for # of results? Something like this:
View 10 20 30 50 100 results per page, with 10 being bold black text as
the default selection and the rest being blue underlined links

Thanks,
Courtney