I'm not surprised by Julie's commentary, as much of it can be applied to Vizfarm. Clearly, there's a pattern here in how designers talk about their work.

Reacting to specific commentary:
Some people did that but a lot of people spent a lot
of time talking about their process before the prototype (i.e. ethnographic
study, requirements, blah, blah, blah).

It's getting to the point where I think we should simply ban such discussions. We talk about process because it's comfortable, and pretty much unassailable -- people are far less likely to be critical of your process than they are of your product.

But, honestly, process is worthless if the product is poor. And, also, the "process" that has been discussed at interaction design-related events since, oh, 2002, has not really changed. Yes, we get it, you should talk to users early! And often!

5) Ask for more info when selecting speakers. People signed up for Protofarm by adding a comment. To enhance the content, it would be nice to ask people to answer a few questions about what they are presenting to make
sure that people are really presenting something that is on topic.

This is key. These Farms are a great idea, but if they are to become a truly valuable, and sustained event, they need to be more selective about the presentations.

--peter