Chris,

I love graphic design, so there is no intended diss in what I'm
about to say and I know it REALLY depends on the specific program,
but out of the common undergraduate degrees out there, the one that
will prepare you the most as an IxD is NOT GD. Hands down industrial
design is better.

1) 80% of what UX practitioners do has been done within some context
of ID for few decades longer.
2) Its relationship to ergo/HF practice is very well established
3) the great programs out there get context of use, and
practice/teach some form of design research (i.e. anthro design).

I don't know if UVA has an ID dept. I know tht VTech's is very
highly regarded. But SCAD (plug time) is just a short 8hr. drive down
I-95 AND!!! it is the only undergraduate program in the country that
offers a minor in Interaction design specifically. AND you can take
the minor from any major: GD, Interactive Design & Game Development
and obviously (and most popularly) Industrial Design.

Of course SCAD isn't for everyone, but I think you should map your
career path 1st and then choose a school instead of choosing a school
1st., IMHO.

BTW, there are other great design or even state schools with design
colleges that I would consider (and many private schools as well).
Take a look at http://iact.in/ to see a little tidbit of some recent
work.

-- dave