I'd agree wholeheartedly with Dave - my original Industrial Design
major (back in 1980!) was a natural fit for me when I started UX in
the mid 1990s (starting with embedded control systems before moving
on to web design and web applications).

The thinking and task solving design processes you go through in ID
are very similar to what I now do in UX, and the long term discipline
and project management needed for ID also suits UX projects (which
tend to last a lot longer than most graphic design projects).

I learnt my visual/graphic design skills by taking on some graphic
design electives such as typography and life drawing, but the ID
major stream gave me a great foundation on which to build my career
in web and application design. Loving it ever since!

Good luck!