Jared,

Isn't it OK for a definition to put forward a view of the 'ideal state'
rather than attempt to capture all the messy gradations from non-existent to
awesome? We could all grow old before we agree on how best to articulate the
distinction between plain vanilla and ideal. Hell, this is our second
attempt this year at 'strategy' and, whilst excellent, the last one failed
to reach any real conclusion or consensus about what does/does not
constitute strategy (although I think we're all hoping Dan includes a strong
statement in his book).

There are some companies who survive by doing the same thing as some market
leader - a lot of retail fashion falls into that category, to be honest.
Your aim shifts to reach, scale and cost instead of creative leadership. But
it's a valid strategy with respect to experience.

To answer your point about what I hope to achieve: I'm generally dealing
with clients of Type II (couldn't resist), and trying to move them to being
of Type 3. I think this type of articulation (mine or someone else's) will
help new companies put in place the right strategy - and supporting culture,
structure, philosophy, vision (to speak to Peter's earlier point) - from the
outset. In that sense they're moving from 1 - 3, but not in the way you
intended. I agree that for a company struggling to grasp a strategy at all,
moving to an ideal situation will be difficult.

Cheers
Steve

--
Steve 'Doc' Baty | Principal | Meld Consulting | P: +61 417 061 292 | E:
steveb...@meld.com.au | Twitter: docbaty | Skype: steve_baty | LinkedIn:

Director, IxDA - ixda.org
Editor: Johnny Holland - johnnyholland.org
Contributor: UXMatters - www.uxmatters.com
UX Australia: 26-28 August, http://uxaustralia.com.au
UX Book Club: http://uxbookclub.org/ - Read, discuss, connect.
Blog: http://meld.com.au/blog