I think you're more likely to find new metaphors on mobile devices
(such as iPhone) than on the desktop computer. There, I have a
feeling that we've reached our QWERTY point: as with that keyboard
layout, the current approach is ubiquitous, fairly well understood,
and works adequately, so deviations from it are unlikely to become
mainstream.  I think we're looking at many years of incremental
refinement -- graphical enhancement, visual effects, etc. -- and
nothing in the way of fundamental change.  On other kinds of devices,
the field is wide-open.

I also feel like you didn't made the case for needing a new
metaphor.  New applications and functionality are emerging
constantly.  In what way does the desktop limit anybody other than
creative OS designers?