On Jun 18, 2009, at 10:55 AM, Jason Robb wrote:

"Can robust personas be built by a single designer, with limited
time and resources?"

I know this isn't limited to personas, but here's what I wrote on your blog:

Hi Jason,

You ask some excellent questions here. I do think it’s possible for an individual to complete all the steps for building personas. It will take time, energy, and resources. But, when you’re done, will the results benefit the design? That’s the big question.

I’m wondering if you’re really a team of none (or one). If others are making decisions that will change the resulting design, then you have a team of multiple folks.

Personas and other UX tools are about informing the team — helping them make better decisions. And the process of building personas is actually the part the informs, not the end deliverable. (See my post on how personas documents are not personas: http://is.gd/18mIP)

Certainly, as the UX person on the team, you can help with the adminstrative bits that go into persona development: planning and scheduling the research, coordinating the intermediate deliverables, facilitating the discussions, and keeping the personas alive in design discussions (”So, how would Rachel approach this function? If she’s trying to get her appointment scheduled quickly, how does this allow her to do that?”).

Remember, you can judge the success of a personas project by how much it constantly influences the outcome of the design. If you hear the team saying, “I would’ve designed it this way, but after seeing the participants in our research, I’m now leaning to this alternative approach,” then you know you’re on the right track.

Hope this helps,

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: jsp...@uie.com p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks  Twitter: @jmspool
UIE Roadshow: Seattle, Denver, DC in June: http://is.gd/gxwe