Jason,

I'm in the same situation. Throughout my developer career I've
gravitated towards the practices of user experience/ IA / interaction
design and have made it my methods for achieving project goals. I do
more business analysis than developing now, but approach all projects
(big and small) from a user experience standpoint. I'm the only
individual in my small information services team that takes this
approach. I read a lot and have great mentors from this community and
IAI. I follow the same steps everybody else does but on a smaller
scale.

How do I know it's working? When I get positive feedback. When I
hear that "Aha" moment from my research. Getting back to personas,
at the beginning of my current intranet project I created scaled down
personas. This was new grounds for the other team members (people in
various departments) and I didn't want to overwhelm. What was
important for me was the discovery from employee interviews and
putting it into a format (personas) that I could share with others.
The team could really care less about the deliverable - but I learned
a lot about how people work and reference that knowledge as the
project continues.

You might be interested in Adaptive Path's Leah Buley, who gave
presentations of "How to be a UX Team of One." You can see the
slides here: http://tiny.cc/n4mej.

Gail Gammel
Glenview State Bank
ga...@gsb.com