Rob, For assumed developmentally normal infants and young children, in our
neuropsychology research, we started with a human face (adult female,
smiling) . . . of course, this was some time ago and before Hello Kitty,
Dragon Tales and Dora, which may be more effective 21st Century (LOL).
Sample citation, among many:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1950440).   -
Andrew