Thanks for sharing this Nielsen column. It's a topic I have been
experimenting with a bit lately (based on my own findings while conducting
user research) but had not found answers on.

Ultimately I think a solution has to be implemented at the browser level,
but as designers we can help inform what that should look like.

I favor a modified version of the "show password" checkbox. Perhaps it could
be checked by default, and then switch off after a user changes focus or
submits the form. This would entirely be controlled by JavaScript, and if JS
is disabled then it defaults to standard password field behavior.

Nielsen is right in that this behavior is outdated, and it's great to hear
so many of you already experimenting with alternatives.