A few months back I was working on a piece about password masking with Josh Viney that touched on many of these issues...

Before we were able to publish it, Viget Labs beat us to it.

http://www.viget.com/advance/password-fields-are-annoying/

They show several javascript techniques that handle the situation nicely. (at the bottom you'll find the iPhone-like solution)

One very important issue that Nielsen seems to be glossing over is that one password is often used for many accounts...and so when someone steals a single password they are often getting the keys to the kingdom, so to speak.

As a designer I prefer to keep control in the user's hands at all times (while also providing feedback when they want it), and so I'm using the "show password" technique or the iPhone-like technique in recent projects.

Cheers,

Josh

Joshua Porter, Founder
Bokardo Design
Interface design & strategy for social web applications
phone: 508-954-1896
http://bokardo.com
por...@bokardo.com
twitter: bokardo